Your health truly manifests itself from the inside out. We are all exposed to toxins on a daily basis, from the air we breathe to the food we eat and things we put on our body. Minimizing our toxic load is important for improving the way we feel, the appearance of our skin, and our overall health. There are simple habits that can be incorporated into our everyday routine to reduce our toxic load. Don’t be scared of the word detox! Take a look at the 5 easy ways I help my body gently detox everyday.
1. Water Intake
I know you’ve probably heard this all your life, but seriously… drink more water! Hydration affects many other areas in the body, such as digestion, kidneys, regulating body temperature, metabolism, and skin health. Sweating is a great way to eliminate toxins, and you need water in your body to sweat. As a rule of thumb, try to drink at least half your body weight in ounces of filtered water everyday. So, someone who is 140 lbs should be drinking at least 70 oz of water each day. Women who are pregnant or breastfeeding will need even more.
*Try adding 1-2 drops of dōTERRA Lemon oil to your water every time you fill your glass.
2. Essential Oils
Pure, therapeutic grade essential oils can be used for a variety of health benefits, including detoxification. Our family uses and trusts the safety of dōTERRA oils, which can be used topically, internally and aromatically. Let’s take a look at a few of my favorite oils for detoxing.
- Citrus oils – Lemon, Grapefruit, Tangerine, Wild Orange & Lime have powerful cleansing & purifying properties and provide the body with limonene, which supports many systems. These all get bonus points for being multi-functional and super affordable. I add 1-2 drops to my water every time I fill my bottle (my favorites are Tangerine & Lemon).
- Zendocrine Detoxification Blend – this blend combines Tangerine, Rosemary, Geranium, Juniper Berry, & Cilantro to support the body’s natural ability to rid itself of unwanted substances. Rub it over the abdomen, bottoms of feet, or take internally. This also comes in a pill form if oils aren’t really your thing.
- DDR Prime – You need antioxidants to fight free radicals. This is a blend of 8 essential oils that provides antioxidant protection, promoting a healthy response to free radicals while supporting healthy cellular function. It comes in a 30 ml oil or a convenient softgel and can be taken everyday.
3. Tongue Scraping
Don’t be scared… this one is pretty amazing! A tongue scraper is a little device designed to scrape from the back to the tip of your tongue to remove unwanted bacteria. Think about the bacteria that accumulates on your tongue overnight or throughout the day that also causes bad breath… don’t you want to remove it instead of swallowing it (yuck!)?
I scrape my tongue first thing in the morning, before I do anything, and again at night before bed. If you don’t have a scraper and want to see how this works, try using the edge of a spoon the same way.
4. Dry Brushing
This practice has been around a long time, but has been gaining popularity for its health benefits. I’m sure you’ve seen a dry skin brush, but did you know that it can help stimulate lymphatic drainage? The lymphatic system essentially is a network of tissues, vessels and organs responsible for getting metabolic waste out of your body and plays a big role in the immune system. Lymph vessels run below the skin, and brushing supports circulation and flow. It also exfoliates the skin, removing dead skin cells, dirt and oil from the pores, while leaving it soft and smooth.
So how do you do it? Starting at the feet, brush upward toward your heart in gentle strokes. Work your way up to the legs, stomach, sides, and back. Once you are at the upper body, you want to brush downward, always brushing toward your heart. Use a brush with softer bristles for your face. After brushing, you can shower to rinse away the dead skin cells.
5. Epsom Salt Bath
Need a good excuse to take a relaxing bath? You’re doing it for your health! Epsom salt, or magnesium sulfate, is a mineral that can draw out toxins from your body, activate enzymes, as well as soothe sore muscles. All you need to do is soak. Make sure you are buying pure epsom salt (like the one linked above) with no added fragrance.
Add 1/2 -1 cup epsom salt to your bath + 1 tsp fractionated (liquid) coconut oil & a few drops of your favorite essential oils. Here are a few of my favorites:
- Calming Bath – 4 drops Serenity + 4 drops Balance (great for kids!)
- Detox Bath – 8 drops Zendocrine
- Skin Relief Bath – 4 drops Lavender + 4 drops Frankincense
- Itchy Dog Bath – 4 drops Lavender + 2 drops Myrrh + 2 drops Roman Chamomile (or for flea protection, add 4 drops TerraShield)
- Soothing Muscles Bath – 5 drops Lavender + 2 drops Marjoram + 1 drop Peppermint
*Try making some ahead in glass jars for quick use or as gifts!
Looking for a complete cleanse program?
dōTERRA’s Cleanse & Restore Kit is the safe and most effective cleanse on the market. There are no crazy diet changes or harsh side effects with this program and it is all laid out for you in a convenient plan. Read more about it here. It is a great idea to do this cleanse twice a year, while practicing these gentle detox habits everyday in between.
If you have any questions about how I incorporate these habits into my daily routine, leave a comment and I’ll be happy to talk more!
Looking for any of the oils I mentioned? Click the “Discover dōTERRA” box below.